War room leak: UK court accepts CBI evidence
New Delhi: CBI received a shot in the arm
after a UK court accepted its evidence against Naval War Room
leak accused Ravi Shankaran for his extradition and fixed
December 30 as the next date of hearing.
Delivering its order yesterday, the Westminster
Magistrate court district accepted the evidence submitted by
the Crown Prosecution Services on behalf of India for
extradition of 46-year-old Shankaran, CBI said here today.
The court will also take up other related matters on
December 30, the agency said.
Shankaran, kin of former Naval Chief Arun Prakash, was
arrested in London in May last year on the basis of an
Interpol Red Corner notice secured against him by the CBI
which has pressed for his early extradition to India.
A retired Naval Commander, Shankaran was accused of
smuggling sensitive classified information out of the Navy War
Room and passing them to arms dealers.
The CBI had despatched a two-member team to London to
assist British law officers in the extradition trial. It also
furnished a 50-page reply to objections raised by the defence
on emails submitted as evidence in the court.
Among other issues to be decided by the London court on
December 30 were the human rights issue and prison conditions
in India as raked up by Shankaran in his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- French PM `relieved` Austrian ecologist beat far-right presidential rival
- We will see how Trinamool MPs return from Delhi: Bengal BJP chief
- Take inspiration from Shilpa Shetty if you wish to lose that post-pregnancy weight!
- Benjam Netanyahu rejects French peace initiative, offers to meet Mahmoud Abbas
- Watch: This self-healing insulator can fix the cracks in all your e-wearables!