Warship Admiral Gorshkov to be handed over to Navy in November
New Delhi: The long-delayed aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov is planned to be handed over to the Indian Navy around mid-November in Russia where it has achieved significant milestones such as night operations of fighter aircraft during its ongoing sea trials there.
The Russian side has assured that they were working towards handing over the warship, which is delayed by almost five years, by the middle of November as they would have completed their trials by that time, sources said here.
An Indian delegation led by Defence Secretary Radha Kant Mathur was in Moscow in Monday and it was also assured about the mid-November delivery schedule, they said.
The delegation was in Moscow as part of visits to prepare ground for the Indo-Russian Intergovernmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation meeting in Russia in mid-October where defence Minister A K Antony will hold talks with his counterpart there.
The warship now rechristened INS Vikramaditya is completing sea trials and is expected to return to the Sevmash Shipyard in Severodvinsk there in next few weeks, sources said.
The Gorshkov, if handed over to India as per schedule, is expected to reach India only in January next year, where it will be deployed at the strategic Karwar naval base in Karnataka.
The issue of the mishap on the INS Sindhurakshak is also learnt to have come up for discussion during the meetings but India has decided that it will involve Russian or any agency in the probe only after the Navy Board of Inquiry is completed.
The two sides areviewed the progress of the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft whose preliminary design phase was completed in June this year and are discussing the issues over pricing of the final design contract.
The two countries also discussed a number of other Navy and Army projects including the supply of ammunition for tank and artillery units of the land force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog