Warship INS Sunayna commissioned
Kochi: INS Sunayna, the second of the naval offshore patrol vessel, was commissioned here Tuesday, to help with ocean surveillance and patrolling requirements of the Indian Navy, said Vice Admiral Satish Soni.
INS Sunayna would be based here under the Southern Naval Command and is designed to undertake fleet support operations, coastal and offshore patrolling, ocean surveillance and monitoring of sea lines of communications and offshore assets, and escort duties.
Speaking on the occasion, Vice Admiral Soni, who heads the Southern Naval Command, said that ship-building process continues to be one of the most challenging tasks.
"India`s location makes the country a pivot around which activities of the strategically important Indian Ocean would unfold. Platforms such as Sunayna would enable the Indian Navy to secure the national interests in the region," said Vice Admiral Soni.
INS Sunayna can achieve speeds in excess of 25 knots. The warship also has an automatic power management system, which is fitted with the latest navigation, communication and electronic support systems.
The armament fit includes one 76 mm gun with an electro optic fire control system, close in weapon systems (CIWS) and CHAFF launchers.
INS Sunayna can also carry a helicopter.
Commander Aftab Ahmed Khan, the commanding officer of the ship, leads a crew of eight officers and 108 sailors, who are accommodated in ergonomic cabins that provide greater crew comfort with improved management of space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning