Warship INS Sunayna commissioned
Kochi: INS Sunayna, the second of the naval offshore patrol vessel, was commissioned here Tuesday, to help with ocean surveillance and patrolling requirements of the Indian Navy, said Vice Admiral Satish Soni.
INS Sunayna would be based here under the Southern Naval Command and is designed to undertake fleet support operations, coastal and offshore patrolling, ocean surveillance and monitoring of sea lines of communications and offshore assets, and escort duties.
Speaking on the occasion, Vice Admiral Soni, who heads the Southern Naval Command, said that ship-building process continues to be one of the most challenging tasks.
"India`s location makes the country a pivot around which activities of the strategically important Indian Ocean would unfold. Platforms such as Sunayna would enable the Indian Navy to secure the national interests in the region," said Vice Admiral Soni.
INS Sunayna can achieve speeds in excess of 25 knots. The warship also has an automatic power management system, which is fitted with the latest navigation, communication and electronic support systems.
The armament fit includes one 76 mm gun with an electro optic fire control system, close in weapon systems (CIWS) and CHAFF launchers.
INS Sunayna can also carry a helicopter.
Commander Aftab Ahmed Khan, the commanding officer of the ship, leads a crew of eight officers and 108 sailors, who are accommodated in ergonomic cabins that provide greater crew comfort with improved management of space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31