Was asked not to write to PM on EX-CJI’s kin: Iyer
Kochi: The former Supreme Court judge VR Krishna Iyer has claimed that a former judge of the Kerala High Court had requested him not to write to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue relating to family members of the former Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan allegedly amassing wealth disproportionate to their sources of income.
Mr Iyer refused to give the name of the judge who had approached him with such a request.
Asked if he was planning to write to the Prime Minister on the issue, he said: “I do not propose to do so now. I assume the PM must have read media reports.”
On whether Mr. Balakrishnan had spoken to him on his statement, Mr. Iyer replied in the negative. “Justice Balakrishnan has not called me about this,” he said.
On whether Mr. Balakrishnan should resign as National Human Rights Commission Chairperson, Mr. Iyer said: “I think he should resign and face inquiry. It is left to him. I had demanded a commission of inquiry, not merely against Balakrishnan but also against his family members — brother, son, sons-in-law, daughters.”
A large number of persons have called him and supported his stand, he said.
Sebastian Paul, media critic and former Lok sabha member, said it was ‘most distressing` that the name of a former Chief Justice of India had figured in scandalous stories.
“The revelations regarding amassment of wealth related to his son-in-law and brother have a direct linkage to him,” Dr Paul said.
He said it was pertinent to remember in this connection the affidavit filed by Shanti Bhushan, former Union Law Minister, relating to corrupt activities of a number of former Chief Justices of the Supreme Court. “It is sad that justice Balakrishnan is also figuring in that category. Though there is no direct evidence so far against him, the needle of suspicion has turned towards him. It is only proper to have a formal inquiry as suggested by Justice VR Krishna Iyer into the conduct and behaviour of Balakrishnan while he was Chief Justice of India,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report