Was misconstrued on Yale University degree: Smriti Irani
New Delhi: Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Smriti Irani Monday said her statement on the degree from Yale University in the United States was "misconstrued".
"Unfortunate that statement of my participation in a leadership programme and certificate thereafter was misconstrued," Irani said in a tweet.
Speaking at the India Today Woman Summit 2014, Saturday, Irani said: "In that kitty of mine where people call me `anpad` (illiterate), I do have a degree from the Yale University as well which I can bring out and show how Yale celebrated my leadership capacities."
However, an official from the Yale University told IANS it was a "certificate" and not a "degree" programme.
The official confirmed Irani was part of the seventh edition of "India Yale Parliamentary Leadership Programme", held June 19-27, 2013.
About 70 parliamentarians have received such certificates.
A total of 11 Indian members of parliament went to the campus in New Haven, Connecticut to complete a six-day leadership programme with the Yale faculty.
Irani was involved in a controversy over her educational qualifications after becoming human resource development minister when it emerged she made contradictory declarations in her election affidavits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'