Was misconstrued on Yale University degree: Smriti Irani
New Delhi: Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Smriti Irani Monday said her statement on the degree from Yale University in the United States was "misconstrued".
"Unfortunate that statement of my participation in a leadership programme and certificate thereafter was misconstrued," Irani said in a tweet.
Speaking at the India Today Woman Summit 2014, Saturday, Irani said: "In that kitty of mine where people call me `anpad` (illiterate), I do have a degree from the Yale University as well which I can bring out and show how Yale celebrated my leadership capacities."
However, an official from the Yale University told IANS it was a "certificate" and not a "degree" programme.
The official confirmed Irani was part of the seventh edition of "India Yale Parliamentary Leadership Programme", held June 19-27, 2013.
About 70 parliamentarians have received such certificates.
A total of 11 Indian members of parliament went to the campus in New Haven, Connecticut to complete a six-day leadership programme with the Yale faculty.
Irani was involved in a controversy over her educational qualifications after becoming human resource development minister when it emerged she made contradictory declarations in her election affidavits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi