Was Vajpayee`s Rajdharma remarks for public consumption? Asks Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday hit out at former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee casting doubts on the seriousness of his famous `Rajdharma` remarks in the context of the post-Godhra riots in Gujarat.
Referring to media reports quoting a book by APJ Abdul Kalam, suggesting that Vajpayee was not keen on the former President visiting Gujarat at that time, party spokesperson Manish Tiwari said, "It makes one wonder whether there was any seriousness in the `Rajdharma` statement (of Vajpayee) or was it only for public consumption."
Vajpayee had asked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to follow the `Rajdharma` in the aftermath of the post-Godhra flare-up.
The Congress spokesperson pointed out that excerpts from the book has led to an understanding that "at the highest level of the NDA government an attempt was made to prevent the then President from travelling to Gujarat in the wake of Gujarat massacre."
Tiwari was reacting to media reports based on excerpts from Kalam`s book "Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges", which also says that the former President was ready to swear in Sonia Gandhi as the Prime Minister after the 2004 polls.
Reacting to this portion of Kalam`s book, which suggests that Kalam was willing to allow Sonia Gandhi to take over as Prime Minister despite opposition from certain quarters, including BJP, over her foreign origin status, Tiwari said, "There was certain right-wing conspiracy theories who believe in tilting the windmill and living in their own world of imagination. I hope this will disabuse their mind completely."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!