Water bodies being filled up in WB
Kolkata: Water bodies measuring a total area
of 7.39 hectares have been filled up legally or illegally by
private housing companies and civic bodies in West Bengal`s
South 24 Parganas district, the state government said today.
About 47,485.85 hectare of water body in the district was
fit for pisciculture. Of this, 7.39 hectare was filled up
legally or illegally by housing companies and civic bodies for
developmental work, Fisheries Minister Kiranmoy Nanda told the
So far 77 people have been arrested from the district for
illegal filling of water bodies, he said.
While 18 water bodies have been restored, 55 cases are
pending in courts, he said, adding that it is difficult to
prove a certain plot as water body once it is filled up
On the controversy surrounding allocation of a water body
to US-based scientist Mani Bhowmik for setting up a research
centre in the district, Nanda said he had spoken to the
district magistrate after receiving the compliant.
Nanda declined any further comments on the matter and
said the matter is pending in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections