Water level in Bhakra 33 feet more than last year
Chandigarh: Amid intense hot weather conditions prevailing across north India, water level in Bhakra reservoir remains at a higher level than what it was during the corresponding period, last year.
Bhakra dam today recorded water level at 1,571.30 feet as against 1,538.20 feet recorded in corresponding period of last year, an official of the Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) said today.
"Water level in Bhakra dam is 33 feet more than what it was on the same day last year," the official said.
However, water level in Pong dam has been recorded at 1,311.11 feet, a bit lower than 1,313.33 feet recorded in corresponding period, official said.
With the melting of snow and rain playing crucial roles in filling of the reservoirs, filling period of Bhakra reservoir starts on May 21 and goes on till September 20, and filling in Pong dam starts on June 21.
The current inflow of water into Bhakra reservoir stands at 30,000 cusecs, while outflow is 29,000 cusecs. In case of Pong dam, the inflow is 3,300 cusecs, while outflow is 3,700 cusecs.
Partnering states Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan get water from Bhakra and Pong dams for various purposes including irrigation.
Besides, BBMB uses water to produce 10,000 to 14,000 million units of power per annum, which also go to these states.
Last year, water level in Bhakra and Pong dams remained low during the Kharif sowing season in Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan, due to erratic weather conditions during monsoons, prompting BBMB to impose 10 percent cut on water release to partnering states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now