Water level in Bhakra, Pong rises
Chandigarh: Water level in Bhakra and Pong reservoirs, which supply water to Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan for drinking and irrigation purposes, have started showing improvement in the wake of heavy rain in its catchment areas .
The water levels in these two reservoirs has rose sharply by about 20 feet each during last fortnight.
"Water level in Bhakra and Pong dams is now rising because of rain in Himachal Pradesh and its catchment areas and snow melting," an official Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) told a news agency here today.
Rise in water level in Bhakra and Pong dam will bring much-needed relief to the partnering states-Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan as water outflow to these states was already cut by 10 percent by BBMB in the wake of "alarmingly" low level of water in the reservoirs.
The partner states had even expressed concern over reducing water supply as it could have adverse implications on sowing of kharif crops including paddy, maize, guar etc.
Punjab and Haryana have a total of 30.88 lakh hectares and 29 lakh hectares of land respectively under irrigation system.
Water level in Bhakra today stands at 1,576.80 feet, higher from low level of 1,555.65 feet as on July 21.
Similarly, water level in Pong dam increased from 1,288.76 feet on July 21 to 1,307.74 feet.
However, the current water level in both reservoirs was below the levels in corresponding period of last year. The maximum water level that can be stored in Bhakra is 1680 feet and that in Pong is 1,390 feet.
Water inflow into Bhakra rose to 48,926 cusecs as against 34,408 cusecs as on July 21. In Pong dam, water inflow significantly jumped to 55,835 cusecs from just 8,269 cusecs as on July 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video