WB train mishap: Rlys to again demand CBI probe
New Delhi: Sticking to its demand for a CBI
probe into the Jnaneshwari Express derailment, the Railway
Ministry has decided to write a second letter to the Home
Ministry in this regard.
Chairman of the Railway Board would soon be writing
another letter to the Home Secretary seeking a CBI probe into
the train mishap which claimed 149 lives, said a highly-placed
source in the Ministry.
The letter is intended to put pressure on the Home
Ministry for a CBI probe without seeking the West Bengal
The Centre yesterday said the needle of suspicion in the
Jnaneswari Express disaster pointed to Maoists, as the West
Bengal government ruled out a CBI probe in a snub to Railway
Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Under Section 6 of the Delhi Special Police Act, known as
CBI Act, the Centre can directly authorise the CBI to
investigate any incident in railway premises, the source said,
adding the Home Ministry need not have approached the state
government for its concurrence.
Earlier, the CRB had written a letter to the Home
Secretary demanding a CBI probe. The Home Secretary forwarded
the same to the Chief Secretary of West Bengal.
However, the state government ruled out a CBI probe
saying the CID investigation has progressed a great deal.
Meanwhile, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee told PTI that
she wants the truth to come out behind the reason of the train
"The truth must come out and people should know who are
behind the incident," she said.
Asked whether she has talked with the Home Minister P
Chidambaram regarding the CBI probe, she said "I keep talking
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown