WCD Min seeks transfer of Chowdhury over harassment charges
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath has written to Prime Minister`s Office seeking transfer of Secretary Nita Chowdhury in the wake of allegations of workplace harassment against her that allegedly drove a senior woman officer to slit her wrists, official sources said.
Chowdhury who had taken over the charge as the Secretary in July this year, had come under severe attack after a senior official of the Ministry allegedly slit her wrist in her Shastri Bhawan office on July 23.
According to sources, the officer slashed her wrist allegedly after she was pulled up by Chowdhury for a tardy rate of clearance of proposals under the Swadhar scheme in front of other senior officials during a meeting.
The official was also transferred to a different Ministry.
Later, several other officials had also complained to the Minister, alleging that they were being harassed by Chawdhury, sources said.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) had also condemned the incident, saying it would set a bad precedent if gone unpunished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand