We are complying with all laws: Gadkari`s company
New Delhi: BJP president Nitin Gadkari`s company Purti Group, which is facing a government probe into allegations of dubious funding, tonight claimed it has been complying with the requirements of laws from time to time.
A statement issued by the Purti Power & Sugar Ltd (PPSL) said it expected "fair investigation" from the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in such a way that "baseless allegations making rounds by media" should not prejudice the enquiry proceedings.
The Ministry has launched a probe into the affairs of PPSL. The Income Tax department has also launched investigations into the source of funds of the company.
Claiming that the company has been complying with the requirements of laws from time to time, the statement by Sudhir Dive, Managing Director of PPSL, however, said, whatever additional information or clarification that may be asked for shall be provided readily.
The statement said PPSL is a company working for the social cause and for the betterment of farmers of Vidarbha region and sentiments of millions of people are involved in it.
"We will trace the source of the funds of the companies including the 18 companies that invested in Purti," a top IT official told PTI in Mumbai on condition of anonymity yesterday.
The official said prima facie `shell` companies (inactive firms used as a vehicle for various financial manoeuvres or kept dormant for future use in some other capacity) had pumped money into PPSL.
Sources in the IT department said a report would be submitted to the Central Board of Direct Taxes(CBDT) shortly.
"We have already started gathering documents relating to these companies," they said, adding officials in the investigation wing of the department in Mumbai and Pune were involved in the probe.
Officials of the investing companies would be summoned in due course and, if needed, Gadkari would also be asked to be present, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley