We are not cheerleaders, cannot be mute spectators in Parliament: Rajnath Singh
Chandigarh: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Sunday said that the principal Opposition should not be expected to keep clapping like "cheerleaders" in Parliament while the ruling Congress-led UPA government at the Centre allegedly kept engaging in corruption.
"The prime minister says that BJP does not allow the country`s economic situation to improve, they accuse us of not letting the House (Parliament) to run smoothly.
"We are the principal Opposition party and we have a role to play to see that the interests of the people are protected.
"Are we cheerleaders that we will keep clapping for you and you continue to indulge in corruption," Rajnath said.
Arriving here on a two-day visit today, Rajnath was addressing a gathering of party workers in the evening.
Keeping Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the centre of his attack, Rajnath said that as regards corruption, the former stayed completely silent.
"The PM says the way we (the Opposition) behave in Parliament, foreign investors are not coming (to India)...
"Will our country`s economy depend on foreign investors alone?" Rajnath asked.
"We are not against globalisation and modernisation, but as regards the country`s autonomy, if any foreign power tries to put a question mark on that, BJP will not tolerate it," he said.
He said that the current "crisis of credibility" involving political leaders was there because they did not fulfil their promises, and added that "we will deliver what we promise".
"BJP does not do politics of just forming government, we do politics of building a nation, a society," he said.
Seeking to counter the Congress charge about BJP being a communal outfit, Rajnath alleged it was the Congress itself which believed in a "divide and rule policy".
"They dub us communal. I want to ask them that they have ruled India for such a long time, why have they failed to foster brotherhood between Hindu, Muslims and Christians," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof