We didn`t favour such a hike in diesel price: Cong
New Delhi: Dubbing the Rs 5 per litre hike in diesel price as an "unpleasant" decision of the government, Congress Thursday said it was not in favour of an increase to such an extent because it hurts the farmers and the common man.
Party General Secretary Digvijay Singh said "we are not in favour of a hike in diesel prices to such an extent because it hurts the farmers and common man."
The government has to take a conscious decision after taking all allies of UPA into confidence, he said adding this should be discussed in the UPA Coordination Committee.
Asked whether it affects UPA`s projection that it is the government of `aam aadmi` (common man), Singh said UPA I and UPA II have taken "innumerable decisions benefitting the common man".
"At the same time, there are some unpleasant decisions that have to be taken by the government by taking an overall view of what is best for the country", Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...