We don`t usurp the right of MPs to elect their leader: Digvijay
Jaipur: Amid demands for projection of Rahul Gandhi as prime ministerial candidate after his elevation as party vice president, Congress on Saturday said it was not the party`s culture to usurp the right of party MPs to elect their leader.
“It is not the culture of Congress party to announce a PM candidate before the elections. We do not believe in taking away the right of elected representatives. Congress believes in parliamentary democracy. Congress never declares its PM candidate before election,” Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said here.
The party general secretary, who has worked closely with Rahul Gandhi as AICC In charge of Uttar Pradesh, also dismissed a suggestion that Rahul Gandhi’s elevation has in any way diminished the role of Congress president Sonia Gandhi in party affairs.
“This will have only so much impact on Congress president’s role that now she will have somebody to share her responsibilities,” Singh said here.
The AICC leader also expressed confidence that Rahul’s elevation could set in motion "revolutionary changes" in the functioning of the party and instil a greater sense of responsibility and accountability among the senior leadership of the party.
Asked what does Rahul Gandhi’s elevation mean for senior party leaders, he said it means more responsibilities, more active involvement, it means greater responsibility and accountability to the leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation