We don`t usurp the right of MPs to elect their leader: Digvijay
Jaipur: Amid demands for projection of Rahul Gandhi as prime ministerial candidate after his elevation as party vice president, Congress on Saturday said it was not the party`s culture to usurp the right of party MPs to elect their leader.
“It is not the culture of Congress party to announce a PM candidate before the elections. We do not believe in taking away the right of elected representatives. Congress believes in parliamentary democracy. Congress never declares its PM candidate before election,” Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said here.
The party general secretary, who has worked closely with Rahul Gandhi as AICC In charge of Uttar Pradesh, also dismissed a suggestion that Rahul Gandhi’s elevation has in any way diminished the role of Congress president Sonia Gandhi in party affairs.
“This will have only so much impact on Congress president’s role that now she will have somebody to share her responsibilities,” Singh said here.
The AICC leader also expressed confidence that Rahul’s elevation could set in motion "revolutionary changes" in the functioning of the party and instil a greater sense of responsibility and accountability among the senior leadership of the party.
Asked what does Rahul Gandhi’s elevation mean for senior party leaders, he said it means more responsibilities, more active involvement, it means greater responsibility and accountability to the leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy