We don`t usurp the right of MPs to elect their leader: Digvijay
Jaipur: Amid demands for projection of Rahul Gandhi as prime ministerial candidate after his elevation as party vice president, Congress on Saturday said it was not the party`s culture to usurp the right of party MPs to elect their leader.
“It is not the culture of Congress party to announce a PM candidate before the elections. We do not believe in taking away the right of elected representatives. Congress believes in parliamentary democracy. Congress never declares its PM candidate before election,” Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said here.
The party general secretary, who has worked closely with Rahul Gandhi as AICC In charge of Uttar Pradesh, also dismissed a suggestion that Rahul Gandhi’s elevation has in any way diminished the role of Congress president Sonia Gandhi in party affairs.
“This will have only so much impact on Congress president’s role that now she will have somebody to share her responsibilities,” Singh said here.
The AICC leader also expressed confidence that Rahul’s elevation could set in motion "revolutionary changes" in the functioning of the party and instil a greater sense of responsibility and accountability among the senior leadership of the party.
Asked what does Rahul Gandhi’s elevation mean for senior party leaders, he said it means more responsibilities, more active involvement, it means greater responsibility and accountability to the leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack