We hope for peace and stability in South Asia: US
Washington: On a day when two Indian soldiers were killed by Pakistan military, the US on Tuesday hoped that the two countries would work together to maintain peace and stability in the region.
"We all hope -- our Pakistani and Indian partners hope -- that we can maintain peace and stability in the region. The Secretary (of Defence) has affirmed that on visits throughout that region, including to India," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters.
The issue of tensions, historical tensions between India and Pakistan, is one that Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, knows very well, he said in response to a question.
"On the issue of terrorism, let me say that we stand with everyone in the world to include those in India and in Pakistan who take a very hard line against terrorists who want to kill civilians, whether it`s Pakistani, Indian or American civilians," Little said.
"We have all been affected by terrorism, and we believe that there needs to be a united front against terrorist groups operating in that region of the world and in others, he added.
Department officials have had regular dialogue with Indian counterparts, he said.
"As you know, Deputy Secretary (of Defence, Ashton) Carter has been asked to take on the role of looking at how we might be able to facilitate transfers more effectively and more efficiently with the government of India. And that process is ongoing," Little said.
In a "provocative" attack, Pakistani regular soldiers crossed into Indian territory in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and ambushed an Indian patrol killing two soldiers, one of whom was decapitated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof