We regret evacuation incident: Jet Airways
Mumbai: The Jet Airways management Saturday expressed "regrets" over the inconvenience caused to its passengers over Friday`s emergency evacuation fracas involving its Mumbai-Chennai flight in which at least 14 fliers sustained injuries and 10 staffers were suspended by the aviation watchdog.
In a statement, the airline said the precautionary evacuation of 131 passengers and 10 crew members on the taxiway due to a suspected fire in the left engine was carried out "in the interest of safety of the passengers and the crew".
The airline claimed that the crew carried out the emergency evacuation of Jet Airways flight 9W-2302 "in accordance with the standard operating procedures", though a subsequent inspection of the plane`s suspect left engine indicated that there was no fire.
"The welfare of our guests and crew is of prime importance and Jet Airways is taking appropriate steps to ensure the same," the statement said.
The airline added that it is "fully co-operating and providing all the necessary assistance" for the formal inquiry initiated into the incident by the aviation watchdog, Directorate-General of Civil Aviation.
Meanwhile, the passengers scheduled to travel on that flight to Chennai were provided alternate travel via an additional flight 9W-2302 which left Mumbai with 117 passengers just before midnight Friday.
The airline said that during the evacuation, 12 passengers sustained injuries and were provided local medical assistance or taken to the nearby hospitals.
Of the 12 injured, eight were discharged Saturday morning and were sent to Chennai.
However, the DGCA said Saturday afternoon that 14 passengers sustained injuries during the emergency evacuation procedure from the flight.
Medical personnel from Jet Airways are present at the hospitals to co-ordinate the relief provided to the remaining four injured passengers.
The airline expressed its gratitude to the crew members, the airport staff, medical staff and the authorities of the Mumbai International Airport Limited for their prompt assistance and support during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof