We stand united behind Narendra Modi: BJP on Vaidya row
New Delhi: In an apparent fire fighting manoeuvre, the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday emphatically rejected senior RSS leader MG Vaidya’s claim that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is behind the campaign against party chief Nitin Gadkari.
“The writer (Vaidya) has tried to link a recent comment of an MP with Chief Minister of Gujarat, the BJP rejects such insinuations as it is totally unfounded,” party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad.
“The entire BJP, all central leaders and the CMs are working united for a national cause, we are working in unions and we are totally behind Mr Narendra Modi and are confident that the party will win Gujarat elections,” he said.
Senior Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) ideologue MG Vaidya triggered debate on the faultlines in the ranks of the BJP and the RSS.
As Vaidya backed the comment made in his blog on Sunday, the RSS quickly clarified that his was not the official view of the organisation. And, the BJP said Vaidya`s views were wrong.
Gadkari has been under attack for alleged financial impropriety in connection with his Purti Group. Mahesh Jethmalani, also BJP MP Ram Jethmalani`s son, quit the party national executive last week protesting Gadkari`s continuation in office in the wake of allegations against him.
"The roots of the campaign against Nitin Gadkari have to be in Gujarat because when Ram Jethmalani demanded Gadkari`s resignation, he also demanded that Narendra Modi be made the prime ministerial candidate of the party," Vaidya was quoted as saying in an English translation of his Marathi blog.
Explaining his blog entry, Vaidya told a news channel on Monday: "And because Jethmalani has combined the two things in one statement, demanding Nitin Gadkari`s resignation and making Narendra Modi as PM, I said that the needle of suspicion goes to Gujarat. I only said needle of suspicion goes towards Modi and that there is a suspicion. If Jethmalani is entitled to his own point of view I also am entitled to my own point of view."
He said the RSS "has nothing to do with it".
Vaidya`s son and RSS leader Manmohan Vaidya clarified on the news channel that these were his father`s personal views. "These are not the Sangh`s official opinion... If the Sangh has to give an opinion, it will do so."
BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu was also quick to denounce Vaidya. Addressing a press conference in Chennai, he said the remarks were Vaidya`s personal opinion.
"That is his idea, I don`t know where he got the information (about Modi being involved). It is wrong...," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!