We want peace but LoC incident is unacceptable: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday said India wanted peaceful existence with its neighbours but the recent incident of beheading by Pakistani troops was "against the norms of civilized international behavior" and "unacceptable".
Addressing a conference of Governors here, Singh said there is a need to recognise that India`s neighbourhood is "characterized by growing instability and uncertainty" and that capabilities of armed forces and police are being "constantly strengthened" to meet the entire spectrum of security challenges.
"We remain committed to working for good relations and peaceful existence with our neighbours. However, we are also firm in our resolve to deal effectively with any threat to our country," he said.
Referring to beheading of Indian soldier by Pakistani troops in Jammu and Kashmir, Singh said,"Incidents like the one that took place on the LoC last month are against the norms of civilized international behaviour and are simply unacceptable to us."
Pakistani troops had carried out a cross-LoC attack on January 8, killing two Indian soldiers, one whom was beheaded. India has since been pressing for return of the head.
The incident had angered India which put on hold a scheme for visa for elederly people and the Prime Minister had stated that after the incident, it could not be "business as usual" with Pakistan.
Referring to the security challeneges facing the country, Singh told the conference that capabilities of armed force and police are being "constantly strengthened" to meet the entire spectrum of security challenges.
"We are also undertaking infrastructure development programs in the border areas to enhance mobility as well as connectivity," he said.
Referring to Left-wing extremism, he said its geographical spread in the country is showing a shrinking trend even though in Assam, it is expanding, which is "worrisome".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das