We want trade, not aid: India to UK
New Delhi: India on Thursday summarily dismissed UK moves to slash its aid of 280 million pounds per annum by half to it with External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid saying that "aid is past, trade is future."
Addressing a joint press conference with his UK counterpart William Hague, Khurshid said that the matter was not discussed. "If we did not discuss it (aid issue), it did not merit a discussion."
The remarks came in the backdrop of reports that UK was planning to slash its assistance to India by half due to mounting domestic criticism that Britain`s overseas assistance was not justified in times of downturn.
On his part, Hague said Britain`s international development secretary Justine Greening would be examining the issue and take a decision.
He also said the two countries are holding talks on the issue. "We have been discussing the issue... The governments of UK and India have agreed on the way forward on this issue," Hague said, adding that Greening would be issuing a statement and he did "not want to pre-empt the issue".
Khurshid said the two sides had discussed all aspects of bilateral trade, which "has immense potential" and noted that India is third largest investor in Britain, while the UK also has major investments in India.
President Pranab Mukherjee as finance minister had dismissed British aid as "peanuts" in India`s total development expenditure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!