‘We were asked to kill jailed CWG officials’

A Delhi Court on Tuesday took serious note of the sensational claim by two undertrials that they were provided with a pistol and a knife allegedly by Tihar jail officials to kill two Commonwealth Games officials lodged in the high security prison on corruption charges.

Last Updated: Dec 22, 2010, 00:32 AM IST

New Delhi: A Delhi Court on Tuesday took
serious note of the sensational claim by two undertrials that
they were provided with a pistol and a knife allegedly by
Tihar jail officials to kill two Commonwealth Games officials
lodged in the high security prison on corruption charges.

Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav sought
a detailed report on December 24 from the Station House
Officer of Hari Nagar police station on various allegations
including that the Tihar jail officials provided them a
country-made pistol and a knife to eliminate two of the three
CWG officials who are in judicial custody.
The application filed by Nishant and Amit, who are
facing trial on murder charges, have not mentioned the names
of the CWG officials.

A knife was recovered from their barrack. "Let a
report from SHO Hari Nagar police station be called for
December 24," the CMM said.

In their application submitted before the court, the
undertrials have said that they were shifted from the ordinary
cell to high security ward where the controversial CWG
officials are kept in judicial custody.

The undertrials have filed two applications which were
signed jointly by both of them.

The undertrials also claimed that they were also
given a countrymade pistol to kill the CWG officials but this
was taken back by the jail authorities.

The duo have also alleged that Amit was transferred
from jail number four to the high risk ward of jail number
five and he (Amit) was threatened as well.

Three former top Organising Committee officials T S
Darbari, M Jayachandran and Sanjay Mahendroo are presently in
judicial custody in Tihar jail.

Darbari and Mahendroo were arrested on November 15.
Jaychandran is in custody since November 21. All of them are
facing corruption charges.
Darbari and Jayachandran are facing charges of causing
losses to the state exchquer in award of contract to the tune
of Rs 1.55 crore with regard to Queen`s Baton Relay (QBR) in
London in November last year before the mega sporting event.

All the former officials are accused of causing
wrongful losses in the award of contract to M/s AM car and Van
Hire Limited for various functions relating to the conduct of
the QBR.

The case against them has been registered under different
Sections of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act.

Meanwhile, Munni Devi, mother of one of the two
undertrials, has also moved an application before the CMM
alleging that they (undertrials) are facing threats. She has
also named some persons and jail officials.

Her two sons, Amit and Pawan are lodged in separate
cells in the Tihar jail.

The CMM, meanwhile, marked the case to Additional
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sunil Chaudhary for further
hearing.

PTI