We won`t pay blood money: Indians on UAE death row
Dubai: A proposal to settle the case
involving 17 Indians, who have appealed the death penalty for killing a Pakistani in Sharjah has been refused, according to
the lawyer representing the defendants.
The family of the Pakistani man told the court that
they were ready to accept compensation including blood money
but we refused because justice is on our side, Bindu Suresh
Chettur said after court hearing late Thursday.
"The prosecution has failed to establish the
relationship between the offence, weapon with which crime was
committed and the scene of the crime. No evidence has yet been
brought before us," she said.
According to her, evidence cannot be accepted in the
light that no weapon has yet been presented before the court
"It is the duty of the prosecution to establish that
the weapon which was used to commit the crime is present
before the court. That hasn`t happened despite several
hearings," she said.
The court has fixed February 17 as the next date for
hearing during which more witnesses have been asked to remain
In January 2009, a bootlegging dispute between an
Indian and Pakistani group reportedly over territorial rights
had led to the death of a Pakistani national Misri Nazir Khan
near a Sharjah labour camp. Seventeen Indians were arrested
and sentenced to death.
During the previous hearing, on December 17, the
defense was prepared to cross-examine the evidence that the
prosecution was to bring to the court but that didn`t
Instead a CD containing the reconstruction of the
scene of the crime was provided. However, the police officials
that were supposed to be present in the court did not show up.
The court has asked the prosecution to ensure the
presence of witnesses, including an Sharjah police personnel
who prepared the report which formed the basis of conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up