`Weak criminal justice system encouraging corruption`
New Delhi: Advocating the need for speeding up of inquiries against officials with "doubtful integrity", CBI director Ashwani Kumar on Wednesday blamed the "weak" criminal justice system for encouraging corrupt practices.
"The weak criminal justice system of our country encourages corruption. Departmental trials of corruption cases go on for years and these delays encourage the dishonest to indulge in corrupt practices with impunity," he said speaking at the 17th Biennial Conference of CBI and State Anti Corruption Bureaux.
"The need of the hour is to complete the departmental inquiries against officers of doubtful integrity within three to six months," he said.
Making a case for speeding up of trials in corruption cases, the CBI chief said court cases against corrupt officials should be completed "within three years".
"We in the CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus feel it is possible, provided the government, and the judiciary, and Parliament are determined and work in possible coordination," he said.
The chiefs of anti-corruption bureaus and vigilance agencies from the States and the Union Territories, besides senior CBI officers are participating in the conference to deliberate upon the various dimensions of corruption in India and the strategies to effectively tackle it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez