Weatherman sends out fog warning for North India
Lucknow: Most parts of Uttar Pradesh would come under a thick blanket of fog early morning and late night, in coming days, the meterological office said Monday.
The fog is only to be expected, after snowfall in Kashmir Valley, Himachal Pradesh and parts of Uttarakhand, over the past week, Met officials said.
Regional Director of the Met office, J.P. Gupta said that with the onset of fog, even the cold would increase considerably.
Day temperatures would dip further, and fog would be severe in the western parts of Uttar Pradesh, where air and rail traffic could take a hit.
Fog would set in later this week over the eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh, and rains in this part of the state would compound problems, the weatherman predicts.
Mercury dipped in many parts of the state in the past 24 hours; the lowest temperature in the state was recorded at 7.7 degrees Celsius in Fatehgarh.
Municipal corporations in many places have decided to roll out the `bonfire` scheme to enable the poor and the homeless to get some respite.
Arrangements to battle the expected chill are also being made around the Kumbh area in the Sangam city of Allahabad, where saints, seers and the devout have begun to trickle in for the Maha Kumbh 2013, set to begin Jan 14.
The state government has ordered district magistrates to ensure that adequate and warm shelters are provided for the displaced and the homeless in all districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal