Webcam spying case: Ravi invited friends for viewing party
New York: An Indian-origin student accused of
spying on his roommate`s homosexual tryst had sent out text
messages to his friends "about having a viewing party" as he
invited others to watch his collegemate`s intimate encounter
with another man through a webcam, according to a testimony.
Dharun Ravi, 20, had texted his high school friend
Michelle Huang that Rutgers University students were having a
"viewing party with a bottle of bacardi and beer" to watch his
roommate Tyler Clementi getting intimate with another man.
Huang testified in a New Jersey Court that Ravi had
explained to her that he had a webcam pointed at Clementi’s
bed and "the monitor is off so he can`t see you."
A separate text from Ravi to Huang read, "Yeah, keep the
Ravi`s trial entered its second week with prosecutors
trying to prove that Ravi was biased against gay people and
wanted to invade the privacy of Clementi, who had committed
suicide in September 2010 after he found out that Ravi had
spied on him.
Ravi`s defence team has argued that he meant no harm to
Clementi and acted in an "immature manner" when he invited
other students to spy on Clementi for a second time through a
The defence has also said that Ravi had used to webcam as
he was worried Clementi`s partner, known only as `MB`, could
steal his iPad.
Ravi has been charged with 15 counts of invasion of
privacy and bias intimidation and could face 10 years in
prison if convicted.
In the trial so far, Ravi`s friends have testified that
he does not harbour dislike for gay people.
The case`s star witness `MB` had testified last week that
as he and Clementi were in a compromising position in
Clementi`s room, he saw a camera that was pointed toward the
bed which made him uncomfortable.
During her testimony, Huang said she had asked Ravi if he
had "really" seen Clementi "make out with some guy."
Ravi had replied, "Yeah omg molly saw it too. He was
older and creepy and def(initely) from the internet."
Huang had then suggested that Clementi`s friend might be
in Ravi’s bed to which he responded, "I set my computer to
alert me if anyone is in it when I`m not there. Lol. (sic)"’
Two days after Clementi committed suicide, Ravi had
texted Huang who had asked him if he knew why Clementi would
He had responded, "No idea. He was quiet all the time and
had no friends so I guess it makes sense."
Prosecutors are expected to call an information
technology expert for Rutgers University as its witness in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader