Webcam spying: Dharun Ravi seeks probation
New York: The Indian-born man who was convicted of hate crimes after using his webcam to see his college roommate kissing another man is asking a judge to give him probation rather than prison.
Lawyers for 20-year-old Dharun Ravi filed a sentencing brief today. His lawyers also asked the judge to overturn the conviction.
Ravi used the webcam to see Tyler Clementi kissing another man, then told people about it in person, through instant messages and Twitter.
Clementi killed himself days later.
In March, a jury convicted Ravi of 15 criminal counts, including invasion of privacy and bias intimidation Ravi could be sentenced to 10 years or more in prison on May 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Man held for raping 5-year-old girl, torturing 2-yr old sibling
- BSP workers abusing Dayashankar's wife, daughter: BJP
- Kabali movie review: Rajinikanth is the driving force in this otherwise trite tale!
- AN-32 aircraft with 29 aboard missing; Indian Air Force intensifies search operation
- Milo Yiannopoulos Twitter ban: WikiLeaks threatens to start its own micro-blogging service