Webcam spying: Dharun Ravi seeks probation
New York: The Indian-born man who was convicted of hate crimes after using his webcam to see his college roommate kissing another man is asking a judge to give him probation rather than prison.
Lawyers for 20-year-old Dharun Ravi filed a sentencing brief today. His lawyers also asked the judge to overturn the conviction.
Ravi used the webcam to see Tyler Clementi kissing another man, then told people about it in person, through instant messages and Twitter.
Clementi killed himself days later.
In March, a jury convicted Ravi of 15 criminal counts, including invasion of privacy and bias intimidation Ravi could be sentenced to 10 years or more in prison on May 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?