Websites case: Court asks ministry official to verify summons
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday asked a Union Home Ministry official to appear and verify the forms for serving summons to US-based websites, including Facebook and Google, for allegedly hosting defamatory content on their sites.
Metropolitan Magistrate Jay Thareja asked ministry under-secretary Amar Chand to appear before him Nov 19 for the purpose.
"The assistance of Amar Chand is required to verify the acceptability of the said forms. Let Amar Chand be summoned for Nov 19," the court said.
The court order came after the forms, required to be filled under the treaty between India and the US, were submitted to the court by complainant Vinay Rai`s advocate Shashi Tripathi, in accordance with its earlier order.
The court in September asked the central government to explain the process of serving summons on US-based websites, including Facebook and Google, for allegedly hosting defamatory content on their sites.
The court was hearing a criminal case filed by Rai, a journalist, who sought the removal of derogatory content from 21 social networking sites and websites, including Facebook, Orkut, YouTube, Yahoo, Blogspot, Google and Microsoft.
The 21 social networking websites were issued summons by the court Dec 23 last year for allegedly committing offences of criminal conspiracy, sale of obscene books and objects, and hosting objectionable content.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened