Websites case: Court asks ministry official to verify summons
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday asked a Union Home Ministry official to appear and verify the forms for serving summons to US-based websites, including Facebook and Google, for allegedly hosting defamatory content on their sites.
Metropolitan Magistrate Jay Thareja asked ministry under-secretary Amar Chand to appear before him Nov 19 for the purpose.
"The assistance of Amar Chand is required to verify the acceptability of the said forms. Let Amar Chand be summoned for Nov 19," the court said.
The court order came after the forms, required to be filled under the treaty between India and the US, were submitted to the court by complainant Vinay Rai`s advocate Shashi Tripathi, in accordance with its earlier order.
The court in September asked the central government to explain the process of serving summons on US-based websites, including Facebook and Google, for allegedly hosting defamatory content on their sites.
The court was hearing a criminal case filed by Rai, a journalist, who sought the removal of derogatory content from 21 social networking sites and websites, including Facebook, Orkut, YouTube, Yahoo, Blogspot, Google and Microsoft.
The 21 social networking websites were issued summons by the court Dec 23 last year for allegedly committing offences of criminal conspiracy, sale of obscene books and objects, and hosting objectionable content.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say