Welcome any privilege motion against me: PC Chacko
New Delhi: Apparently seeking to pacify an angry BJP, JPC chief P C Chacko Tuesday dismissed reports that the panel has named former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in its draft report in the 2G scam.
"We have the highest regard for Atal Bihari Vajpayee. This report has not mentioned the name of Vajpayee. We have not made any reference to the former Prime Minister," Chacko, who is also the Congress spokesperson, told reporters at the AICC briefing.
His remarks have come at a time when moves are afoot to bring all non-Congress members on the JPC together as part of plans to defeat the report, which has given a clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the whole issue.
There were also reports that the committee`s draft has named Vajpayee, which was strongly contested by Chacko. The clarification by Chacko from the party podium was made on a day, when the Opposition upped the ante for the resignation of the Prime Minister on the coalgate issue, which was summarily dismissed by Sonia Gandhi.
Amid Opposition closing in the ranks against him on the JPC report, Chacko denied that JPC reports are decided by the game of numbers saying there has beena precedents of adopting the reports with dissenting notes.
"I am sure that some dissenting notes will come and I welcome that," he said.
Ahead of the April 25 meeting of the panel, when the report is to be adopted, Chacko said there is "nothing new" in the latest written submission made by former Telecom Minister A Raja and that "there is nothing that we have to re-examine".
To a question on whether he apprehends that his fate would be that of PAC Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi, who had found himself in minority on the 2G report issue, Chacko said, "I wish it should not happen to me. I have been very cooperative and courteous to everybody. I have full faith that the members in my committee will have a full discussion."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams