Welcome Shinde`s statement, but Sharad Pawar will not contest LS polls: NCP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Reacting to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s statement that he would be happy to see Sharad Pawar as the prime minister, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Nawab Malik said that the party president is not in the race for the PM`s post.
Speaking to the media, Malik welcomed Shinde`s statement, but stated that the NCP has already made it clear that Maharashtra strongman Pawar wouldn`t contest the 2014 General Elections.
Speaking at an event in Maharashtra, Shinde said Pawar, the chief of Nationalist Congress Party – a key UPA constituent – has been the victim of politics at Delhi.
The Home Minister said Pawar has been in the PM race as early as 1992. He further credited the NCP chief for his entry into politics.
The NCP president on Sunday had said he will not contest the coming Lok Sabha elections but is likely to take the Rajya Sabha route.
"I have decided to stop. This will enable me to devote maximum time to party work. I am not averse to be in Rajya Sabha. Biennial elections to the upper house of Parliament will be held in March," the 73-year-old leader said addressing party workers in Mumbai.
Shinde`s remarks came ahead of Congress` crucial session on January 17, amid reports that party vice-president Rahul Gandhi could be named its Prime Ministerial candidate at the meet.
Pawar has been trying to become PM since 1992, but was a "victim of Delhi politics" he said.
Pawar, who broke away from Congress on the issue of Sonia Gandhi`s foreign origin in 1999 to form NCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in