Wen Jiabao to host lunch for Manmohan Singh
Beijing: Setting a new precedent, former Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, who has met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh several times in the past establishing a close rapport with him in reshaping Sino-India ties, will host a lunch in the honour of his old friend on Thursday.
This is the first time that Wen, who retired earlier this year after a ten-year long tenure, would be surfacing in public. Chinese leaders normally go out of sight after retirement and are rarely seen.
Wen is hosting the lunch at a famous guest house here on October 24, the last day of Singh`s visit.
Observers say this is the first time, that a top retired leader would be hosting a visiting foreign leader.
Also in another informal gesture, Premier Li Keqiang would take Singh for a walk tomorrow at the historic Forbidden City located close to the Great Hall of the People to give him a tour of China`s most famous ancient tourist location.
Singh will also be hosted by Premier Li for lunch and in a rare honour, President and Communist Party General Secretary Xi Jinping will host the Prime Minister at a banquet tomorrow.
Observers say these gestures reflect the informal style of China`s new leadership headed by President Xi Jinping moving away from the rigid protocol-oriented Communist Party-style of the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'