West should adopt sustainable lifestyle: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
on Wednesday said the growing consumption trend of people in the
Western countries was a cause for concern and maintained that
sustainable lifestyle was the key to check climate change.
Instead of becoming an instrument of sustainable
development, education has become a major cause for
unsustainable lifestyles, especially in the western countries,
he said at the 35th UNESCO General Conference held in Paris.
"It is ironic that both in the past and currently the
developed world, with higher human development indexes, had
and have unsustainable lifestyles and consumption patterns.
Education, instead of becoming an instrument of sustainable
development, has become a major cause for unsustainable
lifestyles," Sibal said.
If developing countries adopt and imitate Western styles
of production and consumption, it is estimated that "we would
need four times the resources planet earth provides by the
year 2055 for sustaining us," Sibal said.
He asked the developing countries to adopt and adapt to
sustainable lifestyles, as they implement their development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video