We`ve requested B’desh to hand over Chetia: PC
New Delhi: India has requested Bangladesh to hand over "as early as possible" banned ULFA`s general secretary Anup Chetia.
Talking to reporters here, Chidambaram, who recently visited Bangladesh, said, "Anup Chetia is in jail. There is a case against him so it`s tied up with what the court will do.
But we have made a request that Anup Chetia should be handed over to India as early as possible."
Chetia is in jail in the neighbouring country for over a decade now.
Chidambaram also complimented the Bangladeshi leadership for extending "splendid" cooperation in apprehending insurgent commanders.
"The salient features (of my visit) are signing of the coordinated border management plan between the BSF and the BGB (Border Guard Bangladesh) and second, to tie up the loose ends in the adverse possession areas and un-demarcated borders
before the prime minister visits Bangladesh on September 6 and 7.
"Third, for me to personally convey my thanks to the prime minister of Bangladesh and other Bangladeshi leaders for the splendid cooperation that they have extended in recent months to India to apprehend insurgent leaders," he said, while encapsulating the highlights of his about 24-hour visit to the country.
The two countries` border is guarded jointly by BSF on the Indian side and BGB on the Bangladeshi side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India