What business govt has got to do with lotteries? SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today wondered
what business the government has got to do by running
lotteries which according to a petition is ruining the lives
of lakhs of families.
"The state (government) has no business to get into this
business of lottery. Why should Parliament enact a law for the
purpose?" a bench of Justices Dalveer Bhandari and A K
Patnaik told Additional Solicitor General Haren Rawal.
The apex court said the question raised by the petitioner
Satyavir Singh, a UP-based resident, was quite serious and
needs to be examined. It accordingly admitted the writ
petition filed by Singh questioning functioning of lotteries
in the country.
The bench said the petitioner has raised a valid point
that the lotteries has the potential to ruin the lives of many
families, mostly poor who are lured by the fablous prize
"We agree with him (petitioner) that it does not help the
poor. Why should the state be a party to it? It is really a
very serious matter. We are admitting the petition," the bench
said while seeking a response of the Centre on the plea of the
petitioner to ban lotteries in the country.
According to the petitioner, a number of states are
conducting lotteries in violation of the Central Lotteries Act
and conducting every day dozens of draws and bumper draws.
The petitioner pointed out that as per law only weekly
draws can be conducted and six bumper draws in a year.
However, he complained lotteries in various parts of the
country are being held even on hourly basis, luring many
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH