What did NDA do for Sarabjit`s release: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Friday questioned what the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance government did to ensure the release of Sarabjit Singh when it was in power, adding that the focus should now be on other Indians in Pakistani jails.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) cornered the government over Sarabjit`s death on Thursday, demanding that diplomatic ties with Pakistan be scaled down until an assurance is offered for the security of Indians in Pakistani jails.
BJP leaders had also blamed the government for not doing enough to save Sarabjit Singh, who died on Thursday of wounds sustained during an attack at a Lahore jail on April 26.
"When then prime minister (Atal Bihari Vajpayee) went to Lahore, was Sarabjit Singh`s release on the agenda? When then Pakistan president (Parvez Musharraf) had come to Agra, was Sarabjit Singh`s release on the agenda? When composite dialogues were started, was the release of Sarabjit Singh on the agenda?" Congress leader Manish Tewari asked on Friday.
"So, let`s not get into all this. The bigger issue is, an Indian citizen has been brutally killed. We should try to create pressure on Pakistan, talk to them, and all Indian prisoners who are in Pakistan jail, Pakistan should assure India of their safety," he said.
Sarabjit Singh, who died after being comatose for a week, had been on death row on conviction in terrorist strikes in Pakistan that left 14 dead. He spent over 20 years in jail.
His family held that his was a case of mistaken identity; he had crossed over into Pakistan in an inebriated state in 1990, and was neither a spy nor involved in any bomb blasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof