What good has Children`s Day done for kids?: Modi
Uttan: Stoking a fresh controversy,
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday sought to know what
good has Children`s Day done for kids.
"Jawaharlal Nehru was said to be very fond of kids and
his birthday has been christened as Children`s Day. Kids
called him `Nehru Chacha` and it brings images of a benevolent
Nehru flooding our minds. But what good has it done to the
kids?" Modi asked.
He was speaking at a convention of Chief Ministers of
BJP-ruled states here on the city`s outskirts.
"Has it (Children`s Day) refurbished the image of kids
who lie in lap of poverty, losing their precious years of
childhood," Modi said.
Has anyone shed a tear for these children who struggle
to get a square meal a day when Children`s Day is celebrated?
"Let me contrast it with Lal Bahadur Shastri. He coined
the slogan `Jai Jawan Jai Kisan` which electrified farmers and
jawans," Modi said.
"Shastriji, unlike Nehru, was not a charismatic leader,
yet his tenure saw India producing record foodgrains," the BJP
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!