What Tarun Tejpal did falls within legal definition of rape: Victim
New Delhi: Rejecting "insinuations" that her complaint is part of a pre-election political conspiracy, the victim of Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal`s alleged sexual assault on Friday said what he did to her "falls within the legal definition of rape".
In a statement ahead of Tejpal`s journey to Goa to face police questioning, she said she was heartened by the broad support she has received over the past fortnight.
"However, I am deeply concerned and very disturbed by insinuations that my complaint is part of a pre-election political conspiracy," she said in a two-page statement.
Categorically refuting such insinuations, she put forward arguments to say what Tejpal did was rape.
While he was fighting to protect his wealth, influence and privilege, for her it was a fight to preserve nothing except "my integrity and my right to assert that my body is my own and not the plaything of my employer".
"Perhaps the hardest part of this unrelentingly painful experience has been my struggle with taxonomy. I don`t know if I am ready to see myself as a `rape victim`, for my colleagues, friends, supporters and critics to see me thus."
"It is not the victim that categorises crimes: it is the law. And in this case, the law is clear: what Mr Tejpal did to me falls within the legal definition of rape," the victim, a journalist in Tehelka, said. She has since resigned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video