When Thatcher was bowled over by the Taj Mahal!
New Delhi: Iron Lady Margaret Thatcher, who visited India several times, was bowled over by the beauty of the Taj Mahal and described it as "absolutely exquisite".
"It is, I think, the most beautiful place I have ever been to and it is even more beautiful when you see it than any picture. It is absolutely beautiful," the Margaret Thatcher Foundation quotes her as telling reporters before her visit to India in 1981.
"I went very early in the morning last time (in the late 1970s). I would love to go again, but time does not permit. It is exquisite; that is the only word I can use. Absolutely exquisite," she had said.
Britain`s first and only woman Prime Minister on Monday died of a stroke in London at the age of 87.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad
- Doctors say bill is 'black day' for surrogacy, will spawn corruption
- Naqvi launches websites for Ministry of Minority Affairs