When Zia-ul Haq was punished in Shimla
Shimla: He was a Pakistani dictator feared by many, but there was a time when Zia-ul Haq found himself at the receiving end. The incident dates back to a time when he was a student in a school in Shimla.
The late president of Pakistan was imposed a fine of two annas for bunking school, now known as Government Boys Senior Secondary School in Lalpani, in the year 1939, says its principal.
"Zia was imposed a fine for bunking school April 3, 1939. At that time he was in Class 10 B," school principal RC Rangra.
He said there was no record whether Zia had paid the fine or not. Even his class teacher had no entry in this regard in the attendance register. "Just a tick was marked in front of the fine column."
According to the school`s attendance register, Zia`s admission number was 2,442 and his roll number was 33 when he was in Class 10. At that time there were 38 students in the class.
"At that time the school was up to Class 10, this means he had passed the last class from this school," Rangra added.
The register, however, mentions `grade first` in front of Zia`s name. This means, the principal said, his overall performance in academic and extra-curricular activities was outstanding.
The school, which turned 164 Wednesday, has no other record of Zia, except the Class 10 attendance register.
Major (Retd) Sunder Lal Chauhan, the school`s National Cadet Corps instructor, said: "Zia asked for a school leaving certificate Oct 2, 1939. But a day later he was re-admitted to the school. It`s believed that earlier he was planning to quit the school. On Oct 4, he was given a new admission number (2,605) and roll number (36)."
According to him, the school was closed during break from Oct 8 to Oct 23 and Zia was on leave from Oct 24 to Nov 8, 1939. His attendance was 100 percent between May and August 1939. He took one leave and was marked absent once in September.
The school has been a prominent boys` school in Shimla right from the day it opened Feb 29, 1848. Initially it was a primary school. It also boasts of alumni like former Supreme Court judge Justice D.P. Wadhwa.
At present, the school has over 1,100 students. It is affiliated to the Himachal Pradesh Board of School Education and has senior secondary classes since 1986.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow