Whips` meet recommends more sessions of MLAs
Chandigarh: Raising the number of sittings of
legislatures and training elected members for a meaningful
debate were among ten recommendations came up during the All
India Whips` Conference here on Thursday.
It also proposed to accord status of minister to chief
whips and that of minister of state to whips.
The recommendations were drawn at the conclusion of 15th
All India Whips` Conference, organised by the Ministry of
Parliamentary Affairs. About 85 delegates from all states,
including MPs, chief whips and whips of political parties,
attended the meet.
Union Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, Pawan Kumar
Bansal, said it was decided that periodic training should be
imparted to members on tips for effective debates in
institutions like IIMs. There should be study tours, within
and outside the country, to learn about working of
While whips of all parties should be provided with
secretarial facilities, chief whips should be accorded the
status of minister and whips that of minister of state.
The Minister said research assistance must be provided to
members of Houses for better quality of debates in Parliament
and legislative bodies.
The Conference would become an institutionalised body
with seven members, who would press for effective
implementation of its recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued