Whistleblowers can get security from government
New Delhi: Whistleblowers or people exposing corruption can get security from the government, the Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
The government has authorised Chief Vigilance Officers (CVOs) of ministries or departments of the central government as designated authority to receive any written complaint or disclosure on any allegation of corruption or misuse of office in respect of any employee working under them.
If the designated authority in the ministries or departments, either on the application of the complainant, or on the basis of the information gathered, is of the opinion that the complainant needs protection, the designated authority shall take up the matter with the Central Vigilance Commission for issuing appropriate directions to the authorities concerned, it said.
"The Commission, after receipt of such reference from the designated authority, takes up the matter with the Ministry of Home Affairs, the nodal agency, to undertake the responsibility of providing security cover to the genuine whistleblowers," Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Jitendra Singh said in a written reply.
The Home Ministry, in turn, asks individual state governments to examine the threat and provide security cover, if needed, he said.
"On the advice of Ministry of Home Affairs, state governments have appointed nodal officers in respective states and details about these officers have been communicated to the Commission for referring the matters to them," the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis