White Paper on Railways to be tabled in Parliament soon
New Delhi: The much-awaited White Paper
on Railways is likely to be tabled in the coming session of
Parliament, bringing forth its financial position and former
minister Lalu Prasad`s claim of turning around the PSU
A senior Railway official said, "It (White Paper) is
almost ready and final touches are being given to it."
"It will have certain basic data on Railways`
operational and financial condition," he said without
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee has promised in the
Rail Budget to come out with a White Paper on organisational,
operational and financial status of Railways based on last
five years performance and develop Vision-2020 with long and
short term strategy and plan of action.
While Lalu Prasad had put the surplus funds with the
Railways at Rs 90,000 crore, Banerjee had said that a corpus
of Rs 8,361 crore remained after expenditure of Rs 13,600
crore on account of Pay Commission award last year and Rs
2,600 crore this year.
Claiming that surplus funds were not available,
Banerjee had recently said, "There was no money to install
Railways have constituted a committee comprising
senior officials to prepare the White Paper.
On being asked about the contents of the White Paper,
Mamata had said, "I have committed to Parliament and I would
submit it there only."
However, the controversial Land Acquisition Bill may
not be introduced in the winter session given the Railway
Minister`s opposition to it.
Mamata has said the government should have no role in
acquiring land for private projects.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?