Who amongst us have not followed girls: Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: The debate on the anti-rape bill on Tuesday witnessed heated exchange of words repeatedly in the Lok Sabha as some of the members sought to link the problem of sexual harassment of women with vulgarity in Hindi film songs and television advertisements.
The long speech of Sharad Yadav (JD-U) in the House touched on issues ranging from "sex starvation" of Indian society to item numbers in Hindi films like "Shiela Ki Jawani" and "Munni Badnaam Hui", which invited criticism from some women members in the House.
Yadav said that obscene advertisements are being shown on the television.
He also said provisions to make stalking and staring a crime can be misused. "Who amongst us have not followed girls," Yadav said evoking peals of laughter.
Objecting to some of such remarks, Supriya Sule (NCP) said, "I saw even in this frame of the House that there are a lot of men sniggering when there were comments passed about women. It is funny when you are talking about Sheila ki Jawani. But I am sorry to say this. What it would be once it is your daughter or your wife or your daughter-in-law?"
She said it was time to strengthen the system and also show sensitivity to women and respect to women beyond the barriers of speeches and giving idealistic situations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3