Who benefitted from cash-for-vote scam?: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday asked the government to explain who was to benefit from the cash-for-vote scam in 2008 when UPA-I was about to fall and cast doubts on the ongoing investigations into the case, saying that an attempt was being made to hide the truth.
“The BJP would like to pose the basic question of who was the beneficiary of the entire exercise which was conducted in 2008, when the government was almost about to fall,” party spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy said while addressing media persons here.
Rudy asked specifically whether the UPA government or the UPA prime minister was a beneficiary of the cash-for-vote scam, which happened during the 2008 vote of confidence to save the Congress-led UPA regime.
Raising doubts over the investigations being carried out into the scam, the BJP leader said though all investigations normally lead to bringing out the truth, just the opposite is being done in the cash-for-vote scam.
“While normally investigations are carried out to bring out the truth, an attempt is being made here to hide the truth in this case,” he said.
Rudy said this was evident from the fact that even as investigations are yet to be concluded in the scam, statements are already being made about the non-involvement of Congress or Samajwadi Party in the case.
“Even the Prime Minister had categorically stated that they are not involved in any kind of illegal activity in this vote of confidence in 2008,” the BJP leader said.
Rudy said two facts are evident from such statements which explain the slackness in the investigations being conducted into the case.
“The first being that Delhi Police has taken note of the Prime Minister’s statement, which possibly reflects the reluctance on its part to conduct the investigations into the case. The second being that Delhi Police works under ministry of Home affairs and directly reports to it and the Centre.”
Rudy went on to allege, “This itself corroborates the anguish of the highest court of the land and possibly gives ample evidence why for two years the Delhi Police was keeping quiet and only after an indictment by the Supreme Court they worked in haste.”
Seeking to pin down the government over the scam, Mr. Rudy said money was used at a high level to save the UPA government in July, 2008 and the government should answer questions posed to it in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back