Who is Anna? Parliament is supreme: Paswan
New Delhi: Taking a dig at Anna Hazare for resorting to "mobocracy" in pushing his demand for a strong Lokpal, Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan Thursday said the government should not bow down to pressure and rush with the legislation.
"Who is Anna? Why should he dictate terms to parliament? The government should not bow down to his pressure," said Paswan during the debate on the bill in the Rajya Sabha.
Asking where has the Lokpal term come from, Paswan said, "Parliament is supreme and should make laws."
"Laws are not made on the streets," he said.
Suggesting autonomy for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), he, however, said that the prime minister should not be brought under the purview of the Lokpal.
"The prime minister is the leader of the country. He should not be brought under the Lokpal," said Paswan.
Batting for the rights of the Dalits and minorities, Paswan also criticised the BJP for opposing reservation for these categories under the proposed anti-graft ombudsman.
"We will oppose the Lokpal bill if there is no reservation for these categories," he said.
Paswan said the Lokpal bill should be sent to a select committee of parliament as it had been drafted in a hurry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!