Why all BPL families don`t get ration: CIC to govt
New Delhi: The Central Information
Commission has directed the Delhi Government to make public on
its website the reasons for not distributing free ration to
all the BPL card holders.
The order came on an appeal filed by a below
poverty line card holder Ram Rekha Prasad Gupta who was not
allocated quota to ration despite being alloted a card in
A resident of Okhla, Gupta filed an RTI application
with the food supplies and consumer department seeking reasons
for not allocating ration to him. Not getting satisfactory
reply, he reached the Central Information Commission with an
He also claimed that he was not the only person who
has been denied ration meant for people under the BPL category
but many of his fellow residents were also not getting the
benefits of the scheme.
Gupta alleged that no one in his locality is getting
kerosene against their BPL Ration Card.
"The Commissioner, Food and Supplies Department will
inform the appellant and the Commission the reasons why some
people are being allocated rations and the appellant is
not being allocated any rations before November 15, 2010,"
Information Commissioner Shailesh Gandhi said in his order.
Exercising his powers under the Right to Information
Act, Gandhi directed the department to display on its website
names of persons who have been given BPL cards but are not
entitled to received supplies of food grains and kerosene
along with the reasons.
He said the directive has to be complied before
November 30, 2010 as obligation under Section four of the RTI
Act which mandates proactive disclosure of information on part
of public authority to increase transparency in the
Gandhi instructed the department to intimate him the
compliance of the order through email and the address of the
web page where these details have been uploaded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui