Why did Shyam Saran quit, BJP asks government
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday raised questions over the resignation of Prime Minister`s special envoy Shyam Saran and wondered why another top diplomat Shivshankar Menon who, it alleged, brought "shame" to the country at Sharm-el-Sheikh, was appointed National Security Adviser.
"Why an honest adviser of the government, who had the country`s interests in mind, is not able to continue?" BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad asked.
"Does this government only promote those advisers who create shame at Sharm-el-Sheikh and make India meekly surrender as far as foreign policy concerned," he posed
referring to former Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon.
He claimed that Saran`s differences with Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh on emission cuts were a known fact. Saran, who announced his decision to quit yesterday, was the Prime Minister`s special envoy on climate change.
"It is a fact that he was opposed to weakening of India`s position on climate change as far as emission cuts are concerned," the BJP spokesperson said.
Prasad said the party demands that the Government should explain Saran`s decision to quit and the appointment of Menon as NSA against the backdrop of "highly detrimental initiatives taken in Kashmir in the fight against terror and meek submission in dialogue with Pakistan."
This is "a very disturbing scenario", he said adding, BJP takes the developments "very seriously."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday