Why did Shyam Saran quit, BJP asks government
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday raised questions over the resignation of Prime Minister`s special envoy Shyam Saran and wondered why another top diplomat Shivshankar Menon who, it alleged, brought "shame" to the country at Sharm-el-Sheikh, was appointed National Security Adviser.
"Why an honest adviser of the government, who had the country`s interests in mind, is not able to continue?" BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad asked.
"Does this government only promote those advisers who create shame at Sharm-el-Sheikh and make India meekly surrender as far as foreign policy concerned," he posed
referring to former Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon.
He claimed that Saran`s differences with Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh on emission cuts were a known fact. Saran, who announced his decision to quit yesterday, was the Prime Minister`s special envoy on climate change.
"It is a fact that he was opposed to weakening of India`s position on climate change as far as emission cuts are concerned," the BJP spokesperson said.
Prasad said the party demands that the Government should explain Saran`s decision to quit and the appointment of Menon as NSA against the backdrop of "highly detrimental initiatives taken in Kashmir in the fight against terror and meek submission in dialogue with Pakistan."
This is "a very disturbing scenario", he said adding, BJP takes the developments "very seriously."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands