Why didn`t the bomb explode? Afzal Guru wonders
New Delhi: Why did the bomb, planted in
the car used during the 2001 Parliament attack, not explode?
This question still puzzles convicted terrorist Afzal Guru,
claims a 180-page manuscript by a Tihar jail superintendent.
"If the December 2001 terrorist attack on Parliament was a
success then they would have made Jammu and Kashmir an
international issue and would have entered into negotiations
with the government," Guru -- the key accused in 2001
Parliament terror attack case -- is said to have told Manoj
Diwvedi, Superintendent of Tihar Jail number 3.
Divided into six chapters, this document, starts with the
attack itself and the first chapter tells the nitty-
gritty of all that happened on December 13.
It ends when Guru, on death row, is finally held by the
police, Diwedi said.
"They were very confident that the car fitted with
improvised explosive device would go off. Guru told me that
they had parked the car fitted with bombs and explosives in
front of a police the previous night of the attack fearing
that it might be stolen. Surprisingly no policeman bothered to
"Sadly, the car bomb used in the December 13, 2001 attack,
did not explode and till date Afzal Guru is clueless as to why
it did not explode.
"If the attack would have been a success they had also
names of people in their minds who they would want to
negotiate with," says Diwvedi, who has been refused permission
by the Tihar authorities to publish the book.
"This document is compiled after 200 hours conversation
between me and Afzal Guru between March 2009 to December
2010," he said.
In one of the chapter, Diwvedi talks about Afzal`s
childhood and how he reached Pakistan.
"In my book I have mentioned all the reasons stated by
Afzal for shifting to Pakistan and undergoing training as
other terrorist did.
"He came back and realised that he was being used and
decided to give up and lead a normal life.
"He had completed his first year in MBBS. He even tried
for IES exam," says Diwvedi.
The book also gives the reasons why Guru, whose Brahmin
family converted to Islam generations ago, returned to
"One chapter is dedicated to Afzal Guru and how he carried
out the planning for the attack. How they got the explosives
and the RDX grenade the Chinese pistol and other things
without being caught. How they arranged for their stay in
Delhi, the recce done of the Parliament by people who were not
Indian and did not understand any of the Indian language,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow