Why Rahul will be monitoring cash transfer scheme, asks BJP
New Delhi: Aware of the possible advantage to Congress from Aadhar-based cash transfer scheme, BJP on Thursday said it is aimed at gettting political mileage for the ruling party and wanted to know why Rahul Gandhi is part of the policy`s monitoring committee.
BJP Chief Spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad raised several objections to the manner in which the government has announced the cash transfer scheme and its implemention.
"Two senior ministers announced the cash transfer scheme in Congress office. If this scheme is a gamechanger (as claimed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram), then why was it not announced in Parliament? Why was Parliament bypassed on this?" Prasad said.
BJP has appointed a two-member committee comprising of senior MPs M Venkaiah Naidu and Yashwant Sinha to look into the cash transfer scheme which will help those getting pensions, scholarships and are beneficiaries of government welfare schemes.
"While people are reeling under inflation, Congress is only making efforts to take political mileage for nothing," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
The opposition party sought to know what role Gandhi will play in the implementation of the scheme.
"Under what capacity will Rahul Gandhi will be monitoring the scheme? He does not hold any constitutional office. And this use of the slogan "aapka paise, aapke haath"..." Prasad said, referring to the hand which is Congress election symbol.
BJP said its state governments have been implementing similar schemes for years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say