Why should Amitji say sorry: Jaya
New Delhi: Jaya Bachchan on Friday said there
was no need for her husband Amitabh Bachchan to apologise for
attending the inauguration of the Bandra-Worli sea-link which
has triggered a controversy in Maharashtra politics.
"Why should he apologise?", Bachchan asked during an
interaction at the Indian Women`s Press Corps here.
On the controversy over the function, she said, "it is
a democracy, everybody has a right to speak. There is no
On Bachchan having shared the dais with Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi, the Samajwadi Party MP said, in the
present scenario in the country now, "each leader is holding a
"We are one country," Jaya added.
She further said that Amitabh Bachchan is capable of
defending himself and holding his own ground.
"He was here today, you could have asked him. I feel
like laughing. Our family is used to it. We have learnt from
experience," she said.
Bachchan was at the centre of a controversy over his
presence at a government function in Mumbai prompting
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan to remark that he
would not have attended it if he had known that the megastar,
a brand ambassador for Gujarat, was there.
Bachchan, who attended the function on Wednesday to
mark the inauguration of the second phase of the Bandra-Worli
sea link at the invitation of the PWD ministry headed by
Congress coalition partner NCP, said the controversy has been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!