Why should Amitji say sorry: Jaya
New Delhi: Jaya Bachchan on Friday said there
was no need for her husband Amitabh Bachchan to apologise for
attending the inauguration of the Bandra-Worli sea-link which
has triggered a controversy in Maharashtra politics.
"Why should he apologise?", Bachchan asked during an
interaction at the Indian Women`s Press Corps here.
On the controversy over the function, she said, "it is
a democracy, everybody has a right to speak. There is no
On Bachchan having shared the dais with Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi, the Samajwadi Party MP said, in the
present scenario in the country now, "each leader is holding a
"We are one country," Jaya added.
She further said that Amitabh Bachchan is capable of
defending himself and holding his own ground.
"He was here today, you could have asked him. I feel
like laughing. Our family is used to it. We have learnt from
experience," she said.
Bachchan was at the centre of a controversy over his
presence at a government function in Mumbai prompting
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan to remark that he
would not have attended it if he had known that the megastar,
a brand ambassador for Gujarat, was there.
Bachchan, who attended the function on Wednesday to
mark the inauguration of the second phase of the Bandra-Worli
sea link at the invitation of the PWD ministry headed by
Congress coalition partner NCP, said the controversy has been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla