Why some companies favoured in mineral allocation: SC to Centre
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday questioned the Centre on why certain companies are always favoured in the allocation of mines and minerals which has resulted in creating "monopoly" for them.
At the outset of proceedings in coal block allocation scam, a bench headed by Justice RM Lodha said the names of the companies in the list of coal allottees are same as those figuring in other cases pertaining to extraction of iron ore mines.
"Same companies are there in iron ore mines cases also which I heard earlier. You are creating monopoly in hands of certain companies. Same companies are there whether it is coal, iron ore or other resources," the bench, also comprising justices Madan B Lokur and Kurian Joseph, said without naming the companies.
Attorney General GE Vahanvati, however, said that no rule was violated by the Centre while allocating coal blocks to companies.
He submitted that coal blocks allocation is merely a letter of intent and does not confer any right to the companies over the natural resource which is decided by the state government.
Pushed on the backfoot by the Supreme Court on the various procedural infirmity in allocation, the AG submitted that decision of coal block allocation to companies is the first stage and firms get rights over coal only when they start mining for which they have to take various clearances.
"No right is created in favour of companies by allocating coal blocks. At the most it can be said that it is letter of intent," the AG said, adding that all procedure was followed in the allocations. The apex court also raised questions on delay in granting forest clearance to those companies which have been allocated coal blocks since 1993.
"Forest clearance which has to be given must have some reasonable meaning which must be given in a reasonable time. If no time-limit is fixed, it defeats the purpose," the bench observed while noting that even after more than 15 years of allotment of coal blocks there have been no forest clearance for several projects.
"The question is can it be a indefinite waiting for forest clearance. If it takes 20 years for forest clearance, is it not coming in the way of whole object of the coal block allocation," the bench said.
The bench also said in the scheme of things there is no idea how the Centre was thinking about the coal block allocation.
"The centre and its executives which took the decision never thought upon it to discuss allocation of coal blocks. The Centre and the PSU were only thinking to grant lease," the bench said, adding that "there was absolutely no contemplation of allocation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India